Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  Combat balancing  (Read 341135 times)

_people_

« on: 07, July 2011, 03:26:00 »
Alright, it's time we get some of this on the record. Combat atm is either too easy or too hard, depending on what level you're at. There are many variables in this which I feel should be addressed. Please leave discussion related to drops or dungeons out of this thread, and perhaps put them in a different one.

My strategy on balancing combat involves five steps:

Strikethrough text = things I've finished.

• Balance the level-based growth line so that it's not too easy at high levels and not too hard at low levels. This is probably the easiest step of the five.
  • Boost the usefulness of warriors so that people don't despise playing as them.
  • Even mages out with the warriors. After step 2, warriors may either be better or worse than mages. If warriors are better, buff mages to match them. If warriors are worse, nerf mages to match them.
  • Adjust mobs to fit the new combat styles.
  • Make minor combat uses such as punch, throw, and archery more useful.

Step 1: Balance the level-based growth

Code: [Select]
#define LEVEL_DAMAGE_MULTIPLIER (0.25f)
#define LEVEL_DAMAGE(__l_) ((((float)(__l_)) * LEVEL_DAMAGE_MULTIPLIER) + 1.0f)

This is one of the most important snippets in the first step. This is used for both players and non-players. Here's a break-down of what this code means.

The amount of damage that is dealt is first calculated based on stats, critical hit, etc. Then it's passed through this function. This function (well, macro) will return a number to multiply the original damage by to find the damage dealt at this level.

A less tangled version is:
LEVEL_DAMAGE = ((level) * 0.25) + 1

So let's say a level 1 puncher with no gear, all stats = 12 hits a level 1 mob with no resists or other modifiers for 5 damage. A level 10 under the same conditions will hit for ((10 * 0.25) + 1) * 5, which makes 17.5 (which will be rounded). A level 110 with the same conditions will hit 142.5 on that level 1 mob.

Now with all stats in effect this will end up being a lot different. When it boils down to mobs versus players, level 110 players can kill level 110 mobs more easily than a level 1 can kill a level 1. It's actually rather difficult for the first 15 levels. So, what can we do (presumably adding more variables at least) to this formula to make it even? I'm thinking that mobs should have a separate multiplier. An excuse for this is that they've been enchanted and/or trained by Moroch. This will probably take some trial & error.

Step 2: Changes to melee combat

First of all, the age-old question of warrior vs. mage is currently a no-brainer. Mages win in B5, hands-down. Why be a warrior? The answer to that is the same as the answer to the "Why use punch/throw?" question. The answer? "Because I've run out of levels to make in other skills."

There are two ways to solve this: Buff up PH or weaken MA. I think players have generally shot down the "weaken MA" idea. So let's try it another way. Buff up warriors. How?

• Nobody uses them because they seem weaker than 2h or 1h. So we still have to decide on a solution to that problem. See the thread I linked to for discussion.
  • Too slow to get EXP? Mages have AoE attacks which can be very powerful allies in dungeons like CS or Maus. What can we do to speed up killing for warriors?
  • Add secondary skills to enhance melee attacks. This basically involves adding a secondary timer. Then when players use a secondary skill, their primary will be altered to hit maybe twice in a row, twice as powerfully, etc. Then the secondary timer will go up so that players can't overuse secondary skills.

Step 3: Changes to magical combat

• One problem I see is storms. Yes, they're useful. But it's nearly impossible to miss unless you're blind. And if you can run fast enough, no mob can ever hit you. So run around a huge room an shoot 10-20 mobs at a time until you level up and become even more untouchable. What are some things we can do to help mobs not be so defenseless against storms?
  • Change how Spell Fumble and Casting Penalty work. See this thread and page 4 of this topic.

Step 4: Changes to mob strength

Well it gets easier from here, I hope. We just need to adjust mobs to fit the new players. Most likely we'll need to tinker with stats, raising or lowering as needed.  Another thing that should happen is that mobs should be adjusted more based on environment, background, and type. A mob raised in a desert should be resistant to heat. A mob raised on a glacier should be resistant to cold. A guard of Moroch's house should be better-suited for the job than a slime that attacks Stoneglow.  I'll go more in-depth on mob balance when the time comes.

Step 5:Changes to minor skills

This really can't be hit on too hard yet. We'll have to wait for steps 1-4 to be completed first. Any suggestions here are still welcome, though.

One thing I can think of now, though, is Sonix's "knuckleduster" idea. That could work nicely.

Conclusion

Alright. Now I've some steps laid down for us to use. Or we could make a new path entirely. The decisions lie with the community. I encourage anyone to propose changes to this list. Atm our dev team is very small, and we can't get a lot done by ourselves. It's very important that players and devs alike contribute to this thread so that we can work out a solution beneficial to everybody. So let the discussion begin. :)
« Last Edit: 04, July 2012, 04:26:03 by _people_ »
-- _people_ :)

Joe

« Reply #1 on: 07, July 2011, 03:54:43 »
Mages have lots of cool spells to learn, give warriors lots of cool attacks to learn as they lvl up.

*Double Hit- Chance to hit mob twice in one attack.

*Fury Attack- Speeds up attack time.

* Spinning Blade-  Allows player to attack one square in every direction in a spinning affect.

*Paralize Punch- Gives player a chance at freezing the mob.

These are all silly names and some cooler ones with better ideas can be thought up, just a suggestion.
Whoever said "Out of sight, out of mind" never had a spider disappear in their bedroom.

_people_

« Reply #2 on: 07, July 2011, 04:08:06 »
I think those can be accomplished semi-easily. I'll see what I can do with this after others add input to this.

There are 2 options I can think of for those sorts of attacks. We can either attach them to the weapon and have some sort of quest or something add them as needed, or we can attach them to the player as skills. Option 1 would be easier IMO, but then that leaves issues with punch. However, making these attacks as skills would be difficult primarily because they can be overused. And adding a long timer to these wouldn't be good because of the new actiontimer stuff. Any suggestions as to how to make these skills work around the actiontimer?

EDIT: Joe just suggested in-game that we may have a primary skill timer, and a secondary. So while primary may be impact weapons, etc., secondary may be double hit/fury attack/etc. The primary and secondary have no relation to each other.
« Last Edit: 07, July 2011, 04:29:28 by _people_ »

Anich

« Reply #3 on: 08, July 2011, 14:53:55 »
Firstly I must thank you _personally_ for your serious effort in addressing and finding solutions to this age old problem. Secondly, I must apologise for the all the reading you must endure :)

1. Balancing the level base growth damage.
Having a single formula control where there are gameplay modifiers (weapons, items, etc.) is more favourable, in respect, creating more controls exponentially increases the workload for game designers. One would have to consider the differences in base stats and their relationships to gameplay modifiers.

The current formula features a linear gain, which maintains direct proportionality between different skills at base stats. In my opinion it is best to leave it to the gameplay modifiers to add variations to visible damage.

Alone this is largely philosophical, so let's look at the output. The greater the difference in levels, the shorter the conflict duration - how much difference in power between entities with different levels? Say in an isolated environment where there are no modifiers or variations to visible damage, we have X(lvl 10, 100 hp, 5 dps), X vs X would result in a conflict duration of 20 sec. Introduce Y(lvl 1, 10 hp, 1 dps), X vs Y ends in 2 sec, Y vs Y is 10 seconds. We must, at all cost, avoid the extremities of exaggeration and realism.

• For now, a single formula control is best.
  • We may adjust the formula if it is the quickest way to create a desired effect.

(New) Remastering our battle system.
Our current one is too inconsistent and needlessly difficult to deal with. Here's the break-down: our gameplay incorporates a bit of action-base with turn-base. Turn-base strategy relies on character stats (just like chess), that is ph and melee. Whereas action-base relies on character stats, and some first person shooting (just like call of duty), that's our archery, magic and throw. This means that melee-ers experience a more equal grounds gameplay; you'll develop an awareness to your character stats, mob stats, and other elements that are relevant to your strategies. Mages and other ranged attackers on the other hand, must become adept at using the keyboard/mouse and only focus on boosting their dps while avoiding hits from mobs. Anyone can be a swordsman, not everyone can be a cool mage.

Personally I recommend incorporating a full turn-base system because it emphasises more on the daimonin theme for the storyline. Nonetheless, each have their perks, as I have wrote above.

• Eliminate the CTRL + [dir] rule by automating all attacks, just like in melee. The player would target a mob and switch to offense mode to attack.
  • Add or modify the weapon range attribute so that it determines how far player can attack mob with given weapon (rather than how far a projectile can travel) and skill.

Ranged attacks would rely directly on stats, so there would need to be a hit vs miss system. I still haven't quite decided on the WC vs AC thing. It still seems a bit awkward to me that th

Excuse me - out of time for the day, I'll reply to the rest maybe tomorrow.
Some of you may remember me in-game as Stcrisis.

Cutintwo

« Reply #4 on: 08, July 2011, 16:36:51 »
With punch could we add a second attack so you could say you hit with a 1 2 as some boxers do in rl boxing?  but add the second attack as a % chance of say an uppercut +20% Jab std damage and glace -40% damage?  just for sake of variety and giving punch a bit more umph.

2nd hit should average slightly less dam as most cannot hit same str with either hand.

my idea being it should be like the leech attack on skulldruj and happen automatically when the 1st attack is made.

Cutin2

BVC_Phantom2

« Reply #5 on: 20, July 2011, 00:56:31 »
Sorry for posting so much on various topics, but I was thinking if the mob your fighting storms with fire and you storm with ice maybe you can make them disappear on contact, along with Firestorm destroys arrows shot at you in the air, and magic bullet against CLW? Or is that not do-able?
« Last Edit: 20, July 2011, 05:04:04 by BVC_Phantom2 »

_people_

« Reply #6 on: 20, July 2011, 18:50:29 »
I like idea #1, I'll see what I can do. #2 is kinda iffy. Although it's a good idea, it makes it a bit difficult to use archery. Not to mention, we also have sling stones and crossbow bolts to balance. And I'm not sure about #3 either, because chaos and weaponmagic, or even spells vs prayers, don't have much to do with each other.

Now, I'm wondering about step #1. The soon-to-come guild system will ensure LLP's are no longer struggling to survive. And HLP's are limited a bit as well. So we'll test that out once I iron out the bugs and move on to step 2. :)

Anomandaris

« Reply #7 on: 11, November 2011, 11:24:41 »
Changes to magical combat

I think a good and fair way to balance the advantage mages have currently is by increasing the casting delay for some spells and increasing the mana cost for most as well. Especially the storms should cost much more mana and probably take longer to recover from as well. Considering they do nearly the same damage as magic bullet but can do so to mobs in many more spaces than mb or even firebolt/lightningbolt. Or simplying lowering the damage storms do while keeping mana cost the same would also work, either way..

I also think it would be interesting to have mb significantly faster and also significantly less powerful than the standard lightling bolt used by most players.
Or change firebolt to something like a firebomb, small area of effect spell when it hits.. Just so its not so much the same as lightning.

Changes to minor skills

I would love to be able to avoid poison traps at all times so I would suggest find/remove traps to work like all other skills in the game. Learn by doing, get a little xp every time you use the skill on a corpse. Of course its possible you would never be able to lv it cause of dying occasionally so it might be worth making it so that skill doesnt suffer from dying and losing xp. Only combat skills would have that little problem. To compensate it would be much, much slower to level. So a lv 110 in 1 skill might only have lv 40-50 remove traps, but at least it gives him a chance to avoid traps. Also I'm not sure I see the point of having 2 separate skills for traps, a remove traps skill should suffice imo.

Killest_is_awesome

« Reply #8 on: 15, November 2011, 01:18:50 »
First of all
All of you have great ideas and such

Secondly
@_people_ i like your opinion

Finally
I think that we should let the mobs level up as you fight them

EDIT: That way we know, for example, Now we know how this mob got to this level, see what i'm saying?
« Last Edit: 15, November 2011, 01:20:28 by Killest_is_awesome »

_people_

« Reply #9 on: 01, April 2012, 06:03:42 »
I came up with a new idea for this.

To change the gear players must wear, IMO priests should be given naturally crummy grace so that they have to wear different gear with lower resistances (no KAotW or other warrior gear, which is what priests currently use). Not saying it should be bad gear, but they shouldn't wear high-level warrior gear. I'm thinking mid-level warrior OR mage gear with grace/regen boni.

For mages, I've suggested similar changes to SF in other threads.

Opinions?

ThePlaneskeeper

« Reply #10 on: 01, April 2012, 14:08:08 »
I've always said that mages and priests should have crummy gear.  They need a tank to defend them, but should be able to out-damage that tank, or heal many allies continuously throughout a battle.

zrubavel

« Reply #11 on: 01, April 2012, 17:03:10 »
I don't think we should use gear to force players to group. I think some dungeons should only be doable in a group, but not all situations should require a group.

But to _people_'s point, I do think, however, we can use "the denied" feature more creatively to make it so mages can't wear ph gear etc.
Also we can make some gear require guild membership- so you cant wear KAOTM and not be part of the mages guild for example.
I think changes like this will make players have to make more decisions about gear, and  oops not sure what was supposed to follow this and...
« Last Edit: 01, April 2012, 20:09:00 by zrubavel »
a good sharp edge
is a man's best hedge
against the uncertain vagaries of life
Corb Lund

clobber

« Reply #12 on: 01, April 2012, 17:10:27 »
and?
Posted by Clobber

Collector Of Burnt out torches, 0 and Counting.

,-.  ___ ,-.
 \/ .   .  \ / 
(___O___)
 /  \      /   )
 ( ||       || )
  000     000
Woof, Woof!

Quote from: Longir
I use caution, fear is a distraction

Ethreal

« Reply #13 on: 01, April 2012, 18:28:11 »
Thou im a new player to this game
This is my opinion what changes should be in combat

1st. Well, Warriors use a shield, why not make it count, by giving somone who is using ph, a chance to block a incoming attack from front or lets say 190 degree angle (ofcourse not from behiend)

2nd. Also i noticed the lack off abilities since with a priest i could take on 2-3 mobs and loose basicly no hp in kiting combat, but with a warrior i was basicly certaintly dead as soon as i pulled 2-3 off somthing purple named, so id say something along the abilities that do Area off effect damage(EX: circular close range 360 degree attack) or adding som effects that would debuff ur enemy to do less damage for a certaint amount of time

3rd. this is a overall idea for all classes, but adding somthing along the line off buffs for classes.

4th. Also, an idea is that having to choose who ur main is gona be like a Warrior/Mage/Ranger and have that benifit from that ability
lets say mages get a incombat mana regen or a damage boost
Warriors would get a increased effect to defense or somthing
Rangers would get a faster attack rate ,
Perk's to make you want to play ur main class

@_People_ and as you said about the gear issue i agree, but that can be fixed by adding cloth som effects that a mage would just benifit more from that than wearing a plate, my idea about it is basicly making plate reduce ur damage with mage spells, since ur a mage and taking by logic you should be wearing cloth not heavy armor to benifit you more and that goes for any other classes

Well, thees are my ideas i hope there is somthing usefull in that junk, and if my ideas repeat any off yours im sorry, but i just pointed out my ideas what should be  configured with

ThePlaneskeeper

« Reply #14 on: 01, April 2012, 18:55:56 »
As a statement of fact: we don't live in a vacuum.

As someone who HAS (past tense) played WoW, mages can level up and solo for most- if not all- of the game.  The way this works is by killing nearly anything other than bosses before they actually get to you.  Mages do THAT MUCH damage.  This ability takes all of a mages mana though, and then you sit for the next 30 seconds regenerating that mana.

PH-er style characters on the other hand can't take down enemies as fast, but it is much less of an effort, and overall time per kill is less.

Just because mage can't take more than 1 hit doesn't make them "forced into a group."  It makes their experience different.

People like to make this into "your trying to destroy a class," or "x class is too strong," or "we can't play anymore."  What the truth of it is more closely related to:

"You won't be able to play like you always have been able to."

Its simply a difference experience.

Tags: