Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  Joes archs  (Read 2285135 times)

Joe

« Reply #210 on: 24, August 2014, 22:10:54 »
Poison and acid pants in the works:
Whoever said "Out of sight, out of mind" never had a spider disappear in their bedroom.

Joe

« Reply #211 on: 15, January 2015, 01:26:07 »
Started working on animation for Remove Poison spell.
Whoever said "Out of sight, out of mind" never had a spider disappear in their bedroom.

Joe

« Reply #212 on: 16, January 2015, 08:46:55 »
Woot!  8) Some more spell effects:

Joe

« Reply #213 on: 24, January 2015, 19:47:26 »
Ooo I'm excited, installed new codec for Camstudio resulting in much better recording.  No more crap videos haha!  ;D

Joe

« Reply #214 on: 25, January 2015, 05:42:39 »
Some awesome rounded corners  8)

clobber

« Reply #215 on: 25, January 2015, 16:25:23 »
Nice idea Joe!
Posted by Clobber

Collector Of Burnt out torches, 0 and Counting.

,-.  ___ ,-.
 \/ .   .  \ / 
(___O___)
 /  \      /   )
 ( ||       || )
  000     000
Woof, Woof!

Quote from: Longir
I use caution, fear is a distraction

Joe

« Reply #216 on: 26, January 2015, 00:41:43 »
Thanks, expect to see some of these used on the buildings around the towns.  This will help break up the consistent square look we have.  Here's a video showing some of the more common stone walls we use. 
  I'll be adding these to a few of the Stoneglow buildings soon.  :)

Joe

« Reply #217 on: 26, January 2015, 04:54:32 »
I've placed these round corner walls in Stoneglow, let me know what you think.  Personally I think most of them should be changed to this.  Very clean and sexy look.  ;)
« Last Edit: 26, January 2015, 06:53:55 by Joe »

clobber

« Reply #218 on: 27, January 2015, 16:46:08 »
How would you feel about making the character sprites, with a different type of weapon (axe, sword, dagger, club)?
Posted by Clobber

,-.  ___ ,-.
 \/ .   .  \ / 
(___O___)
 /  \      /   )
 ( ||       || )
  000     000
Woof, Woof!

Joe

« Reply #219 on: 28, January 2015, 01:20:21 »
Hmm that's a ginormous task involving over 1000 arches, do we even have code for this?
Here's a "rough" start:
« Last Edit: 28, January 2015, 01:21:58 by Joe »

_people_

« Reply #220 on: 28, January 2015, 02:47:17 »
The code isn't currently in place at all. It's a very common feature in games, however. It's called "paperdolling". There are two main ways 2D games implement it (and a bonus method).

The first method would be to create a copy of every single image with various items affixed (Clobber's solution). Problem is, if we ever want multiple items to paperdoll this is nearly impossible. It would work best with weapons only. It isn't technically "paperdolling" but it achieves a similar effect.

The next method is much more common. Essentially we make animation frames for every equippable item. Those images are then placed over top of the character sprite in a seamless fashion. The problem here is that all of our characters are of different sizes. So a dwarf carrying a weapon with the same image as a human's weapon would result in a levitating weapon.

The third method is the ideal method because it's the easiest (if we have the resources). Essentially it would involve porting all character sprites and equippable items to Blender images so that we could just run a script to render the inventory animation, and an animation of each race carrying that weapon. Code-wise it would be similar to the first method. Problem here is that we don't have the 3D modelers to do that.

It would be fairly straightforward to code any of these methods. However I wouldn't want to start until I've finished a few of the other projects I've started and haven't finished. And it appears Smacky has a lot on his plate as well. Unfortunately the guy who e-mailed us about helping out never responded so I guess that's all the coding manpower we have.

That was a bit more long-winded than necessary. :)

EDIT: There's also another common method I never mentioned but it's a lot of work so I'll keep to myself...
-- _people_ :)

Joe

« Reply #221 on: 28, January 2015, 03:05:27 »
I appreciate you giving detailed explanations.  It's something that will have to wait until the code is properly implemented.  I really like the idea of having all the players the same size to make "paperdolling" easy, but that also means all the characters will look the same in each movement, attack, etc. which is kinda boring. Specially since  dwarves should be shorter, ogres taller and so on.

I'll hold off on this for now.

smacky

« Reply #222 on: 28, January 2015, 11:19:23 »
There's also the method JLittle came up with some years ago (and IIRC had some standalone prototype code).

Gotta say it never really grabbed my imagination although it was technically very clever. Similar to the tilestretching business. IMO both add fairly high levels of complexity and resource use to the code to achieve somewhat flawed and, depending on your point of view, slightly ropey optical illusions.

clobber

« Reply #223 on: 28, January 2015, 14:49:39 »
I can do the 3D stuff?

Yeah, my solution was the easy one - I've been wanting to find something to ease myself back in and this caught my attention... thanks Joe, they look good, but I guess I'll see what complexity person makes.
Posted by Clobber

,-.  ___ ,-.
 \/ .   .  \ / 
(___O___)
 /  \      /   )
 ( ||       || )
  000     000
Woof, Woof!

_people_

« Reply #224 on: 28, January 2015, 21:29:12 »
I won't be making any complexity for a while. ;) I think it's better if we get the graphics part done at least partway before any work begins on the code (so that I can have something to work with) so really whichever paperdolling method we use is dependent upon our artists' decision (that's you and Joe and Animegirl).
-- _people_ :)