Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  TODO: Daimonin Launcher  (Read 155311 times)

smacky

« on: 26, August 2010, 22:24:53 »
We need a Daimonin Launcher. This is mainly so mouse jockeys can use addon packs easily.

The launcher would open a window. The window would have various switches and things so the player could set the command line switches to his preference. There would then be a large, friendly button to click which would launch the client (or the updater in fact).

The launcher would have profiles. So you could set the switches the way you liike and save a profile. Then next time you run the launcher you need only click the profile to launch dai with those preset switches.

The switches currently are:

Code: [Select]
  -a, --account=STRING : login to the named account
  -A, --addon=STRING   : prepend named addon pack to PhysFS search path
  -h, --help           : display this help and exit
  -l. --local          : show a local server in the server list
  -n, --nometa         : do not query the metaserver
  -p, --pass=STRING    : use this password when logging in to an account
  -s, --server=NUMBER  : connect automatically to the specified official server
                           0 - your local server (if running)
                           1 - the main server, which is best for simply playing the game
                           2 - the test server, which is best for testing new content (maps)
                           3 - the dev server, which is best for testing new code (features)
  -v, --version        : output client version number and exit

These won't go away, but more may (will) be added later. When first run (and when next run after an update), the launcher does a quick ./daimonin --help to get this info. It then parses this to work out the possible --server values, creating an appropriate dropdown list with the reults.

ATM --version returns the x.y.z as a single 15-bit number (xxxyyyyyyzzzzzz IIRC) but this will be added to --help too. The launcher translates this back to x.y.z so it shows the version of Dai in the title bar.

The launcher window is something like this:

Code: [Select]
|  account: |________________|  password: |________________|  |
|            ________________________________    __________   |
|  addons:  |________________________________|  (__Browse__)  |
|  +----------------------------------------------+   _____   |
|  |                                              |  (_Add_)  |
|  |                                              |           |
|  |         LIST THEM HERE AS YOU ADD            |           |
|  +----------------------------------------------+           |
|                                                             |
|  server: |DROP-DOWN LIST|   show local: |X|   no meta: |X|  |
|                   _______________________________________   |
|  other switches: |_______________________________________|  |
|                                         _________________   |
|                                        (__PLAY DAIMONIN__)  |
|_____________________________________________________________|

The launcher would be platform independent (ie, Java). It wouldn't actually be part of the client code base, but an optional project_tool.

EDIT: Edit window mockup.
« Last Edit: 27, August 2010, 13:39:14 by smacky »

ThePlaneskeeper

« Reply #1 on: 27, August 2010, 04:42:01 »
Wouldn't this make sense just to be a part of the existing launcher...?  Seems like were using brackets for the sake of using brackets...

Anich

« Reply #2 on: 27, August 2010, 05:03:33 »
The game exe would use default settings. Then there is a interface where you can make profiles, change settings, etc. run separately- not quite just for brackets.

I imagine in future, when the project grows more complex, we might have to consider having a single Daimonin 'wizard' where the user can customise/download sound, custom gfx, video settings, mods, etc. IMO this is a good start. Although the widget client had something similar in the past, but it wasn't maintained.
Some of you may remember me in-game as Stcrisis.

smacky

« Reply #3 on: 27, August 2010, 13:31:39 »
@TPK: There is no existing launcher, hence people need to much about editing their shortcut and/or cluttering the desktop with multiple Dai shortcuts.

This way only one Dai shortcut is needed (which targets the launcher, not the client/updater) and players don't need to edit the shortcut which is scary/too technical for some players.

Further down the line we could maybe make the launcher one of those auto-loaded things which sits on your desktop. It then monitors the metaserver, maybe with this built in, and/or it pings you when your friends go online. Like annoying IMs do.

EDIT: And when Client£D is done, we can have buttons to PLAY DAIMONIN 2D and PLAY DAIMONIN 3D.
« Last Edit: 27, August 2010, 13:49:27 by smacky »

ThePlaneskeeper

« Reply #4 on: 27, August 2010, 14:56:36 »
@smacky: what I meant, was to make this a part of the program after launching it but before logging in.  Similarly we should have graphic/sound settings editable before logging in (they currently are not)

just seems like these switches shouldn't need to be command-line.

clobber

« Reply #5 on: 27, August 2010, 15:03:16 »
You mean configuration area?
Posted by Clobber

Collector Of Burnt out torches, 0 and Counting.

,-.  ___ ,-.
 \/ .   .  \ / 
(___O___)
 /  \      /   )
 ( ||       || )
  000     000
Woof, Woof!

Quote from: Longir
I use caution, fear is a distraction

grommit

« Reply #6 on: 27, August 2010, 15:13:02 »
If I ever have time, I could do this, having had practice with the (Java) Map Checker.

I don't want to hold anyone else up, though :)

(Just post here if you're going to do it so effort is not duplicated.)

smacky

« Reply #7 on: 27, August 2010, 15:29:21 »
@smacky: what I meant, was to make this a part of the program after launching it but before logging in.  Similarly we should have graphic/sound settings editable before logging in (they currently are not)

just seems like these switches shouldn't need to be command-line.

Well it just adds complexity to the client if we do it internally. Most of these things (with the arguable exception of --addon) make no sense, except as switches.

northrock

« Reply #8 on: 09, November 2010, 18:13:00 »
I mentioned this elsewhere but this is the proper spot to bring up a need in my opinion. This game isn't going to draw a lot of new players if someone doesn't create a client to run daimonin on smartphones. My android is more than capable of running the game if a suitable client was created
and creating an app for smartphones would grab the attention of youth worldwide.

vencam3

« Reply #9 on: 29, August 2014, 21:48:22 »
I think we should do this in same language like client and make it same on one way becose this should be just something small what will download real client (based on version what you want ) and do rest of jobs about client and after that user dont need work with client just work with this small program

Tags: