Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  The Curse of Bebeniss  (Read 1834 times)

Shroud

« on: 11, August 2014, 20:39:59 »
I, Vito the Priest stopped by at the tavern in Iluma. Normally he wouldn't step foot in such a foul establishment but he was there to spread the faith so he had to come to the heathens...

When I stepped inside it was practically deserted and he was approached by a woman who reeked of booze with clothes that seemed to be stained in vomit. She swayed from side to side as she approached him and I instantly got on his guard. Having glanced at the barman it soon became apparent that she had a hefty tab and had obviously drank a small fortune.

The woman went by the name of Evangel Nerina. This woman was a self proclaimed widow, even though she had the look of a professional swindler so I didn't believe her words unconditionally. She came up with some sob story about how her husband had been possessed by a cursed axe he found in a chest. She then required my assistance in killing the spirit of an undead Warrior King to allow her husband's soul to be put to rest

However the story stinked almost as much as Evangel Nerina. To start with in her whole story she couldn't even name her husband. When pressed it appeared she had forgotten...

To make matters worse I have it on strong authority that 3 other clerics have reported assisting a "widow" whose husband's soul need to be put to rest. Considering that the 3 clerics were all priests of impeccable integrity, even if a bit naive it was unthinkable to imagine they'd leave such a task unfinished.

Considering it odd that there were so many widows seeking rest for their husband's souls that I decided to do some investigating. Maybe I could find something that linked all the victims. In the last year in the local church there has been 232 Weddings. To my horror I discovered that in 210 of these weddings the bride was called Evangel Nerina. There was definitely something amiss going on. It also explained why the place was so deserted.

To investigate I figured I had to go to the Tower of Bebeniss. While Evangel Nerina insisted I give her parts of the talisman I was rightly wary of trusting her too much. For all I knew touching the talisman could be a means to make me the next victim/husband.

I climbed the tower, using the power of the tabernacle to undo the barriers and finally reached the Warrior King she wanted slain. I faced Sarthaug, Undead Warrior King and from his spirit I sensed the words "so she sent you..."

I said that yes, I had been sent to put his soul to rest and to my surprise he replied that he would never know rest when that witch still lived. It turned out that Sarthaug was actually Evangel Nerina's first husband. However they had a difficult marriage as she kept drinking and was violent to the children. Eventually she had spent all of their money on booze and despite him working extra shifts they were being pursued by loan sharks.

Finally he had enough and wanted a divorce. She then presented him an axe in a chest as a farewell gift that she claimed was an old family heirloom. It was actually a cursed artifact that allowed her to control the wielder and turn them into an undead monster. She then forced him to go to the tower, transformed him into an undead creature and returned to Iluma claiming her husband had been possessed by the evil spirit of an ancient Warrior King. Then brave adventurers would "fight" the undead Warrior King and "recover" the cursed axe unknowingling becoming her next victim. She would pretend to "fall" for them and force the adventurer under compulsion to marry her and then claim all his assets. The adventurer would then become cursed and killed by her next husband. It was the ultimate get rich quick scheme and the only way she could finance her life of booze and debauchery.

It was clear at a glance that the axe contained the tortured souls of hundreds of adventurers. While a cleric could resist the curse it was obvious that a normal adventurer had no chance. I then did the only humane thing. I returned to Iluma, killed Evangel Nerina and cleansed the axe to free the souls.

Alas it appears that Evangel Nerina was a being with a lot of malice and even my divine skills weren't enough to fully eradicate her. It is for this reason I write this tale so that should the vengeful spirit of Evangel Nerina reappear that adventures are warned to beware!

P.S. People shouldn't imagine this is a cynical story written to promote the Ring of the Godfather in the priest ring competition

P.P.S. Hope I haven't hijacked someone's character ;)

P.P.P.S Things I might add:
She only offers 1g reward cause she spent rest on booze
Amulet originally had repelled sobriety stat. Might be at a pawnbroker's...
« Last Edit: 11, August 2014, 20:50:00 by Shroud »
Doesn't matter, you'd die anyway. ;D Shroud's a hacker. After many hours of deep thought I have came to that conclusion.

Tags: