Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  character skills keep disappearing  (Read 2619 times)

bayleah

« on: 31, March 2014, 03:48:11 »
Hello.  I recently downloaded Daimonin on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I, first, downloaded the stable v0.10.5. It played fine, just there was a mismatch between the client version and the server version. (server I think was 10.6). The problem came whenever I log out and quit the game. When I come back on, my character has 0 skills, cannot equip any weapon because it says I am not trained in the necessary skill. This is the gear that was given to my character at creation. Im my case, it was an axe. I even tried seeing if my character could fight with no weapon, but that didn't work, because although he was in attack mode, my character wouldn't attack...she just stood there accruing damage.
I even tried downloading the running the 10.6 for windows, and running it through wine. Once again, it ran fine, but if I logged out then came back, once again skills were gone and no weapon or fighting ability.
I scoured the forums here, but could find no real answer.  I even tried the elwin script daimonin installer. Yeah, that didn't work at all. Running out of ideas.
I tried the "/save, or "\" command in-game and it wasn't a valid command.

Any help would be great!
Thanks

smacky

« Reply #1 on: 31, March 2014, 11:49:03 »
Yeah it's a highly annoying and known bug. Your character can be fixed (for the most part). See this thread for details: https://www.daimonin.org/forums/bug-discussion/lost-skillslevels/

The bug itself is server-side so it makes no difference if you use the 10.5 or 10.6 client. I'm not sure what's going on with elwin's script. He appeared last week (or was it the week before?) and said he'd fix it that week. But I've heard nothing since.

/save has been removed (the server saves as necessary).

On the subject of the skills bug I am now (99%) certain it was introduced in 0.10.5-ad so in theory I can spot it by looking through the code changes for that revision. In theory.

bayleah

« Reply #2 on: 31, March 2014, 21:38:58 »
Thanks for the quick reply!  I read through the previous forum posts you pointed me to. So, since it is server-side, I take it I just have to ask someone to set my skills where they were? What do I need to do?

Thanks again.

smacky

« Reply #3 on: 01, April 2014, 00:08:43 »
Clobber seems to deal with that. Just post somewhere to arrange sometime when you're both online.

clobber

« Reply #4 on: 01, April 2014, 07:16:00 »
I'll try to be online frm 6pm BST to 9pm BST today (except a short while for dinner and bathtime!)
Posted by Clobber

Collector Of Burnt out torches, 0 and Counting.

,-.  ___ ,-.
 \/ .   .  \ / 
(___O___)
 /  \      /   )
 ( ||       || )
  000     000
Woof, Woof!

Quote from: Longir
I use caution, fear is a distraction

Shroud

« Reply #5 on: 01, April 2014, 18:14:27 »
Just curious but would it be possible to do something like getting all the playerfiles and then parsing through them to find ones that don't have a melee weapon skill to identify characters hit by the bug?

I suspect part of the problem with the bug is that reports of missing levels occur after actual incident so it's hard to tell when they were hit.
Doesn't matter, you'd die anyway. ;D Shroud's a hacker. After many hours of deep thought I have came to that conclusion.

bayleah

« Reply #6 on: 01, April 2014, 20:17:52 »
I am online right now.

clobber

« Reply #7 on: 01, April 2014, 20:51:40 »
I am online now, too. Was making dinner when you logged in :(
Posted by Clobber

Collector Of Burnt out torches, 0 and Counting.

,-.  ___ ,-.
 \/ .   .  \ / 
(___O___)
 /  \      /   )
 ( ||       || )
  000     000
Woof, Woof!

Quote from: Longir
I use caution, fear is a distraction

bayleah

« Reply #8 on: 01, April 2014, 20:53:42 »
Sorry...I was online for a little while, but needed to leave to finish up some work. Will try to get back online before work (4:30pm CDT).  I saw that Clobber was online, but got no response from her. No worries. I'll try a bit later.

Thanks again

bayleah

« Reply #9 on: 01, April 2014, 20:55:19 »
Sorry bout that! Let me jump back on.

_people_

« Reply #10 on: 03, April 2014, 05:37:46 »
Just curious but would it be possible to do something like getting all the playerfiles and then parsing through them to find ones that don't have a melee weapon skill to identify characters hit by the bug?

I suspect part of the problem with the bug is that reports of missing levels occur after actual incident so it's hard to tell when they were hit.

If you're right then OP would have had to have started playing before 0.10.6 hit main. @OP: When did you start playing?

Also, we need to know players' levels to restore them. It would help, though, if we had a list of affected players. If a player reports the bug and isn't on the list we know the bug is still there.

I'll be available to help very soon.
-- _people_ :)

Dokuxe

« Reply #11 on: 03, April 2014, 08:57:13 »
Just a question. I have no idea how any of this works but i do know that when i used my archery to kill something again i regained my agi. Now my question is, could you not implement some sort of level 1 ph weapon for each type and make it 1 copper in the store, because the only problem i have is i can't equip any weapon i have to regain what i have lost. Would it not allow a bandaid fix for this at least for PH?

smacky

« Reply #12 on: 03, April 2014, 11:04:58 »
No, because (IIRC, now that I've done the latest on pick up/drop I can get back into trying to fix this) the problem is the affected players lose their weapon skill entirely. So they can't wield a weapon at all (and there is no way to tell if they're cleave, impact, poke, or slash).

Tags: