Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  Guild Revamp Discussion  (Read 62212 times)

clobber

« on: 24, August 2013, 13:15:29 »
The battle mage thread got hijacked so I thought I would make this one here to ensure it would be easier to find over time...

I have a bit of time so I figure that I may as well post my ideas about guilds and then everyone else can do theirs or whatever we usually do. I can't really do anything about them for another few weeks though.

When you start the game, you have the choice of mage guild, warrior guild, or priest guild. It takes you through the quests and teaches you the basic skills associated with the chosen guild. Like now, you have the ability to switch guilds at any time, however you can only use the skills associated with the guild because they're very narrow-minded at this stage and believe that their guild has the best method so forbid you to use other skills. Once you have completed all of the quests available within that guild, you become a guildmaster (or something with a better name).

Once you have become a guild master within 2 guilds you can move to the next level:

warrior + mage = battlemage
mage + priest  = something else
warrior + priest = something else

As a member of one of these guilds you can use all of the skills associated with the two composite guilds. They're a bit more open minded but still hold a prejudice against the remaining guild.  Once you have become a guild master in all three of these guilds, then you can join the final guild which incorporates all three guilds' skills and abilities.

something else + something else + battle mage = final guild

I think that all new skills ought to be taught through guilds, and that guildless world quests should exist as well for reward or trade skills.
Posted by Clobber

Collector Of Burnt out torches, 0 and Counting.

,-.  ___ ,-.
 \/ .   .  \ / 
(___O___)
 /  \      /   )
 ( ||       || )
  000     000
Woof, Woof!

Quote from: Longir
I use caution, fear is a distraction

zrubavel

« Reply #1 on: 24, August 2013, 16:20:40 »
I like this idea, but maybe add a bit more to the back story- the battle mage guild (and all the other something +something guilds) were formed by renegade guild masters (or whatever the term we use) and have sour relations with the pure guilds- so if you join the battle mage guild you A. Can not return to the other "pure" guilds as easly B. While you can use all the skills of both guilds you do not gain the "boosts" to stats (st etc for warrior) that you get if you join a pure guild.
Question how do you become a guild master in battle mage guild? And then how would you become a guild master in Mage Priest guild after? and then in Warrior Priest (i.e. if it is just by reaching certain levels in each skill so 80- by the time you are a guild master in battle mage you have 80 mage and 80 warrior- to become a guild master in priest-mage all you need to get is 80 in priest? and then you have 80 in warrior and priest so you are already a guildmaster in warrior and priest)?- we might have to handle some of this with quests...
We need to work on making the "no guild" option more robust- by adding "no guild" maps if we start having guild maps etc.
a good sharp edge
is a man's best hedge
against the uncertain vagaries of life
Corb Lund

zrubavel

« Reply #2 on: 24, August 2013, 17:17:46 »
Going through Old (and Ancient ca. 2007) guild discussions I saw an idea that leveling a guild related skill would gain an extra bonus exp. I.E. hacking someone to pieces in the warrior (merc?) guild would gain more exp then if you did it when not in guild. Is this the case? if not I think we should impalement it. And I think it may have implications for the something-something guilds (i.e. being in battle mage guild would mean you get bonuses for PH or mage actions).
a good sharp edge
is a man's best hedge
against the uncertain vagaries of life
Corb Lund

clobber

« Reply #3 on: 25, August 2013, 13:55:14 »
I think that is how it is atm.

I think guildless could become rogues? And rogue members of other guilds teach them skills do they perhaps know the same at a lower level but don't get the specific exp bonus. Then if they join another guild the skill master insists they demonstrate their ability rather than reteach but forbids the use of skills leant that are not associated with their guild.
Posted by Clobber

,-.  ___ ,-.
 \/ .   .  \ / 
(___O___)
 /  \      /   )
 ( ||       || )
  000     000
Woof, Woof!

Shroud

« Reply #4 on: 27, August 2013, 19:38:16 »
A warrior + priest is maybe a paladin. Although more to the point I'll give my viewpoints.

First of all I think stat boosts are rather redundant. For example in mage guild I don't consider it a stat boost but a stat penalty since getting con below 10/11 results in a massive hp penalty while gaining pow is pretty much irrelevant as I worked out that it averages at maybe 3.8mana/pow while a spell costs about 35+ mana at 110.

Personally I would suggest a couple of things. First of all guilds could have damage modifiers. For example imagine following.
Mage Guild 120% magic, 90% ph, 90% dp
Warrior/Priest = same as magic apart from main skill changed

Battlemage = 115% magic, 115% ph, 80% dp

Final Guild = 110% magic, 110% ph, 110% dp

I'll also add that I don't think things should not be blocked completely but simply made harder to use. So for example let's say a top tier spell needs -70 SF to use. Mage guild might give -30SF, battlemage might give -15SF and others might add SF so with right gear it should be possible to compensate for wrong guild although it means you make sacrifices elsewhere. In same way it should be possible for weapons to have str reqs or whatever guild gives so that once again you need to use right gear to use them.

That's a rough idea of my thoughts, although numbers shouldn't be imagined to be anything other than figures plucked out of thin air
Doesn't matter, you'd die anyway. ;D Shroud's a hacker. After many hours of deep thought I have came to that conclusion.

smacky

« Reply #5 on: 27, August 2013, 20:28:08 »
Seeing as this got moved into a public thread (probably a good thing) I'll quote ,y recent post from yet another secret board:

No, Fanrir does not teach spells or prayers (though yes, he ought to mention why). This is one of the areas where people's obsession with classes is kind of contrary to Daimonin's intended (since before I got involved even) gameplay..

It seems that as soon as people login for the first time they expect to be a particular class -- popularly one of Warrior, Mage, Priest/Healer (sadly the current implementation of guilds buys into this idea and so imposes strict limits on players using out-of-class skills -- which players then complain about even though this restriction is, I suppose a logical outcome of the class system which they expected/demanded in the first place).

As a result when someone starts play with the determination to be, say, a Mage, they are horrified that they don't immediately have spells and 'Mage gear'.

In fact Dai is about guilds, not classes, and learning spells/prayers is done organically as you progress through the game (usually as a reward for a quest).

Wizardry Spells and your first spell and Divine Prayers and your first prayer are learned within the first few levels by everyone (in GH and Sh IIRC). This is part of the flow of the early game. Like learning a ranged weapon when you first get to Sh.

Later on (currently not until you get to Sg) you can join the Wizard guild (only ATM IIRC) which should offer speciali-sation. Most players will already have joined the Mercs which obviously offers non-casting combat speciali-sation. These should be speciali-sations without necessarily an outright ban on the types of skills and abilities speciali-sed in by other guilds. IOW a Merc can still cast spells, just not as well as a Wizard who in turn can still physically fight, just not as well as a Merc (and subskills like 2h and pole are only available to a merc -- a real merc in the case of 2h).

That said, there is currently an MM discussion on reworking guilds which I suspect is headed in a totally different direction, so I'd better go see what's going on there...

So that's just to add a different take on guilds than the suggestion above.

Oh and the stat thing. Don't take current stat boni/mali too much as gospel. This will change. Eventually.

clobber

« Reply #6 on: 13, January 2014, 23:06:10 »
Not intentionally ignoring Smacky's post - I'm just not entirely sure how to respond because I don't really understand - are there any more thoughts on this?

I'm gonna post a couple of suggestions tomorrow evening and see if we can decide on something that I will work on... otherwise I'll just do my own thing and we'll all be part of the Clobberin' Guild :)

EDIT: I got excited and did it now:

1 – **** the guilds and use them for merchantile/craft/tradeskills as intended in medieval times. Re-name to the idea to ‘class’ and have the same NPCs offering the same quests, with different rewards (based upon class) OR different/same NPCs offering different quests for each class. Able to change class at any time, and do other quests. This has a clear line of progression through the game.

2 – Guilds remain as they are, but more area added (battlemage, paladin, divine sorcerer). Quests in every guild range from level 1-110. Benefits of new guilds are a compromise of the benefits of the current guilds (respectively). This has more to do overall, and leads to quite a peculiar but busy progression. It hopefully means that there will be many quests forcing players into little known areas.

3 – The three starting guilds remain as they are. Once you have completed the quests of two of these guilds, you can join a higher level guild which combines the benefits of both of those guilds. This can be done and done again until they have mastered all three basic (mage, merc and priest) and all three guilds requiring two of the former to be completed (battlemage, paladin, divine sorcerer). Once all guild’s quests are completed, you can join the master’s guild with quests for level 100+. Combines benefits of all guilds. This allows for progression while also allowing the current system to remain as it is (ie – less work for me!).

Any ideas to add? or other suggestions on how this could work/be improved?
« Last Edit: 13, January 2014, 23:18:01 by clobber »
Posted by Clobber

,-.  ___ ,-.
 \/ .   .  \ / 
(___O___)
 /  \      /   )
 ( ||       || )
  000     000
Woof, Woof!

Shroud

« Reply #7 on: 14, January 2014, 00:24:40 »
I'm unsure if "**** the guilds" is a case of funny censorship that makes things look a lot worse than they are or not ;P

As far as how I would like guilds to progress I'm actually kind of conflicted. On the one hand I consider it a terrible waste how I have a character that has 110Ma/Dp who is unable to cast any spells despite being an expert in both those subjects just cause he joined a guild that doesn't permit it. On the other hand I'm not necessarily opposed to concept of then having ultra specialized advanced guilds or maybe a prestige class that I assume was what was attempted with current implementation.

Of the options I would say 3rd is preferable from a player perspective but we also have drawback that once everyone joins master guild we would end up with clones who have 110 in everything and same guild. I'll think a bit more over it tomorrow and see what I can come up with

EDIT: Had to write american for censor :(
« Last Edit: 14, January 2014, 18:04:38 by Shroud »
Doesn't matter, you'd die anyway. ;D Shroud's a hacker. After many hours of deep thought I have came to that conclusion.

_people_

« Reply #8 on: 14, January 2014, 02:41:33 »
#2 was always the intent of the guild system but it never reached maturity due to lack of support and prioritizing other game aspects.

#1 is decent idea IMO but the concept of trade guilds is sort of irrelevant here since tradeskills and combat skills are so different. Because of this, adding the new trade guilds would have to be thought out as an independent feature. The code would in theory be the same and we would be able to easily recycle the current guild code. Not a bad idea, though.

#3 is also a good idea.

* _people_ flees from this thread like a child lighting a firework.
-- _people_ :)

Shroud

« Reply #9 on: 15, January 2014, 00:04:32 »
I thought a little and first of all I think it's probably useful to list all things that can be affect by guilds:

+/- stat
spell access
weapon speed change
regen changes

I'm unsure if there is anything else I've missed or that is available just hasn't been used yet. So that for example could a guild even affect resists, attunements etc?

Now first question I would ask is does that mean that in theory you could design a guild for a certain role. For example you could have let's say an Assassin's Guild that increases AC and WC a lot, weapon speed gets faster and decreases damage and maybe armour? Or alternatively a tanking guild that increases HP and resists but slows weapon speed? If pets works correctly even a summoning guild is theoretically possible. Admittedly these things will take more work but could apply in 2 weeks(TM) time.

Next question would be is it intended to actually make these new guilds access new skills/spells? Since for example for a warrior at the moment they use Killrin Warrior set that has elemental and death denied. As a result all attacking spells are already ruled out so even in Master guild a warrior wouldn't really have that much extra and that can already be compensated by food/potions. I guess having a mage that can heal is useful although even then considering that mages cannot cast spells with warrior gear it means divine sorceror and master is pretty much equivalent for a mage.

Next thing I'll ask is that if let's say the Paladin's Guild requires mastery of the Warrior's and Priest's Guild would it make sense to say that a Paladin inherits all quest privileges of both Warrior and Priest's guild so that if let's say a new warrior/priest guild quest is added that can still access it? Presumably then a member of Master's Guild would be a honorary member of every guild at least on standard tree.

As far as how I would like to see progression maybe here is an ok idea

Basic Guilds => Intermediate Guilds => Master Guild => Spe****ation Guilds/Prestige Class

Basic Guilds = Current
Intermediate Guilds = Paladin/Divine Sorceror/Battlemage
Master = Master
Specialization = Ideas suggested above like assassin.

However I would suggest making quests for specialization guilds extremely hard to close to impossible alone. By that I mean having it being harder than FT so that to actually complete any advanced quest would require teamwork even if only one person benefits. This should ideally be filled with challenges that 110s should struggle to complete that would in sense add a challenge beyond what exists now. Note that this can be delayed quite a a bit as it would probably require forethought on exactly what and how it would be done.

That's just ideas, of course as usual if bad they can be ignored :P I can see that _person_ is following this thread closely as everyone knows when kids light fireworks instead of fleeing they watch it a few inches away from their face until it blows up ;)

P.S. I would assume in idea case scenario it should also complement Joe's work on item balancing  :)
« Last Edit: 15, January 2014, 00:06:25 by Shroud »

_people_

« Reply #10 on: 15, January 2014, 00:26:27 »
I thought a little and first of all I think it's probably useful to list all things that can be affect by guilds:

+/- stat
spell access
weapon speed change
regen changes

I'm unsure if there is anything else I've missed or that is available just hasn't been used yet. So that for example could a guild even affect resists, attunements etc?

Guilds already do all that jazz except attunements. They could probably be adapted to modify attunement easily.

Now first question I would ask is does that mean that in theory you could design a guild for a certain role. For example you could have let's say an Assassin's Guild that increases AC and WC a lot, weapon speed gets faster and decreases damage and maybe armour? Or alternatively a tanking guild that increases HP and resists but slows weapon speed? If pets works correctly even a summoning guild is theoretically possible. Admittedly these things will take more work but could apply in 2 weeks(TM) time.

That's exactly how the guild system is intended to work. We just don't have enough guilds/maps/quests for it to function well.

Next question would be is it intended to actually make these new guilds access new skills/spells? Since for example for a warrior at the moment they use Killrin Warrior set that has elemental and death denied. As a result all attacking spells are already ruled out so even in Master guild a warrior wouldn't really have that much extra and that can already be compensated by food/potions. I guess having a mage that can heal is useful although even then considering that mages cannot cast spells with warrior gear it means divine sorceror and master is pretty much equivalent for a mage.

Currently guilds enable access to both learning and using certain spells, skills, items, and prayers. Between my /streams/combatBalance and the huge item overhauls that are planned/being worked on, gear is intended to be designed to facilitate more than just a few base "classes." Currently we have too narrow a selection of gear. You go down one of a few different paths (all we have now is warrior gear and mage gear, with a little bit of room for priest gear; he huge amount of new artifacts that have been pumped out don't count here because they're all "uniques") as you level up and obtain new gear and there's little/no mixing between those paths.

Next thing I'll ask is that if let's say the Paladin's Guild requires mastery of the Warrior's and Priest's Guild would it make sense to say that a Paladin inherits all quest privileges of both Warrior and Priest's guild so that if let's say a new warrior/priest guild quest is added that can still access it? Presumably then a member of Master's Guild would be a honorary member of every guild at least on standard tree.

I've nothing to say here because this is the first I'm hearing of any "Master's Guild."

That's just ideas, of course as usual if bad they can be ignored :P I can see that _person_ is following this thread closely as everyone knows when kids light fireworks instead of fleeing they watch it a few inches away from their face until it blows up ;)

I don't like discussing certain subjects, especially guilds, because I've been attacked before because people hate the guild system. So I'm running away in case the masses decide to shoot those fireworks at me.

Joe

« Reply #11 on: 15, January 2014, 02:37:08 »
I try not to post too much on anything serious anymore,  I'm sure you've all noticed how opinionated I am.  But I was one of the few players that liked the new guilds. The only prob I ever had with them was not being able to use MD in priest and warrior guilds, this is fixed now so all is good. 

I hope to see more guilds such as agility,   social guild ( gives boost to stats if in group), creature guilds (join this guild and turn into a beast at night) could have a daytime and night time guild like say vampires and werewolves or something less common.  Some of these are silly ideas but make for great fun in game.  Also master guilds sounds awesome, actually I'd like to see each type of guild have say 3 stages to master in them.  It would not be an easy feat but if a player were to work thru it he would gain more stats each time.

So basically have minor, major and master in each of the guilds, and once a player has mastered for example the warrior guild, he would be free to join the paladin guild as a minor guildsman.  But all this is fun and easy to say since I'm not the one spending hours and late nights trying to code it.  So feel free to disregard anything I say here!  :)
Whoever said "Out of sight, out of mind" never had a spider disappear in their bedroom.

_people_

« Reply #12 on: 15, January 2014, 03:04:32 »
Re mastery: ATM the guild system sort-of-supports different ranks within the guild. So you might start off as, say, an "apprentice" and after a series of quests work your way up to "master," unlocking more spells/skills/stats/etc. The server also has code which prepends your rank (specified by RANK_FORCE) before your name in some communication. My "AFK" on my name is a rank, for example, although that's not really the intended purpose. But something like "Master Joeshmo" would be nice.

Shroud

« Reply #13 on: 15, January 2014, 16:53:31 »
Well if the guilds do get expanded in way Joe and _person_ described it could actually be a viable alternative. You could even have guilds that start off very weak but have hidden easter eggs as you progress that make them a lot stronger. If I remember correctly didn't _people_ transform into an ant at one point so reproducing that might be part of it with inheriting a different stat base doing the rest

As far as Master Guild goes I was more referring to what clobber was referring to that might be clobberer's guild but guild ranks is also a good addition. I think mage guild theoretically has ranks but I never quite worked out how it was meant to affect things.

Well one thought I had is would it be possible have something like an attuned status but for guilds that has a similar function. So that for example let's say a warrior guild would have repelled magic and prayers so that they could still cast but would be a lot less powerful. Alternatively a mage guild would have attuned equivalent giving a boost to spell damage. That would mean that in same way that a mage can use a weapon but does about half the damage since he can only equip 1h weapons a warrior can cast spells but only does half the damage too. In theory this would then mean that in theory you could then have it so that a warrior could cast support spells on themselves. For example Self Strength is a viable self buff for a warrior and it means that skill in magic/prayers etc isn't all wasted.

Of course as Joe says it's probably someone else who will be spending hours and late nights trying to code it.  So feel free to disregard anything I say here! ;)

clobber

« Reply #14 on: 15, January 2014, 18:15:06 »
But there's no point staying up late at night coding things that aren't wanted :P I'd rather get some kind of agreed idea before I start.

Posted by Clobber

,-.  ___ ,-.
 \/ .   .  \ / 
(___O___)
 /  \      /   )
 ( ||       || )
  000     000
Woof, Woof!

Tags: