Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  Artemis Artwork  (Read 6202 times)

Artemis

« Reply #15 on: 24, October 2014, 10:06:10 »
Hi there and thanks smacky!

Here an update from my current work. The example shows the work on the creeping slime, which is half way done. Hope you enjoy it!

Greetings! ;)

Shroud

« Reply #16 on: 24, October 2014, 18:12:16 »
It's a shame books can't currently incorporate images as it would be nice to see stories accompanied with illustrations ingame. I like creeping slime although it feels more like some nameless lovecraftian abomination than a slime
Doesn't matter, you'd die anyway. ;D Shroud's a hacker. After many hours of deep thought I have came to that conclusion.

Artemis

« Reply #17 on: 24, October 2014, 19:49:17 »
It's a shame books can't currently incorporate images as it would be nice to see stories accompanied with illustrations ingame.
Yes, that would be awesome ...

I like creeping slime although it feels more like some nameless lovecraftian abomination than a slime
I have to admit, that this creature is scary and doesn't look like the typical slime we all know from ingame. Maybe it is an abomination of the "elder races". Might be that I will create a "friendlier" version of this fella here, which fits better ;)

Shroud

« Reply #18 on: 24, October 2014, 20:38:19 »
Why go for "friendlier" versions? I figure it can't do any harm to come up with something horrific enough to give nightmares... if you can even get to sleep ;)

Unless stories go along the lines of "The White Mage got herself dissolved when she hugged a slime that she thought looked cute and adorable but later discovered was also highly corrosive"
Doesn't matter, you'd die anyway. ;D Shroud's a hacker. After many hours of deep thought I have came to that conclusion.

smacky

« Reply #19 on: 24, October 2014, 23:59:02 »
Books with illustrations: I've considered this a bit. At some point we will allow icons in books in the same way as icons in interfaces (and perhaps links and keywords and hypertext too -- to allow books to be 'interactive' though books shouldn't just be NPC interfaces without the NPC).

The problem with proper illustrations is their size. Obviously the book background imposes an absolute limit anyway. But also, only reasonably small images are meant to be sent from server to client and I think the temptation would be to have relatively large illustrations.

So do we only have them clientside (in icons/)? Then we can't update them on the fly, so each player needs an uptodate client or addon pack or they don't see that illustration. So they  must be optional which means books must work without them which, IMO, calls into question why have them in the first place?

'lovecraftian' monsters/grittier imagery in general: Personally I'm all for this (certainly as opposed to cutesy crap). Reminds me of an idea I posted years ago (knowing how the server works technically now, this would be very hard/impossible to do as suggested): www.daimonin.org/forums/suggestions/indescribable-mass-of-chaos-described!/
« Last Edit: 25, October 2014, 00:03:32 by smacky »

Shroud

« Reply #20 on: 25, October 2014, 21:18:22 »
Well now that I think about it there are several ways mobs can be made more terrifying. For example is it possible to have a different mob animation for when it's aggro'd and when it's not. This means that potentially you can have things like a statue that can come to life, disguised characters showing their true colours or even a parasite exploding host and generating some horrific monstrosity.

I'll also add that if you want to make things truly scary you need the right sounds. For example most mobs when aggro'd at most make a kind of flat note at best. How about some shriek or foul cry to generate terror? Can they also do footsteps?

Then you can add something like right background music. Something like
could work although admittedly you need to make sure what's used doesn't breach copyrights etc

Then you just need to design a map where it feels like you're taking a step into inknown with perils awaiting you where every step is potentially encountering new danger (maybe add linked mobs with really long detect ranges for ambushes, with statue example you can walk past statues and provoke a mob at end that gets linked statues to also attack).

Maybe a touch offtopic as we're showcasing artemis' excellent artistic talents in this thread but I figured I could at least describe what I meant ;)

smacky

« Reply #21 on: 26, October 2014, 12:30:52 »
Aggro animation: Currently we have idle, move, and attack. When aggrod mobs go from (presumably) idle to move as they approach their foe. When they're close enough they go to attack. But they also go to move when just strolling along. So perhaps a fourth WTF?! state is needed so we have idle or move to WTF?! when aggrod to move to attack (and back to idle or move if they survive the encounter)?

Sounds: :) I've been sitting on a really cool update for a couple of years tat will do this and more (mob footsteps in general probably wouldn't work so well). Definitely a Y update and you know how long everything takes round here, so...

Shroud

« Reply #22 on: 26, October 2014, 13:00:20 »
As far as aggro animation isn't it simpler to have 6 animation states:
Normal idle
Normal move
Normal attack
WTF?! idle
WTF?! move
WTF?! attack

If there's no transformation then WTF?! and Normal are identical. If you want a mob that transforms after a certain amount of damage is taken etc it changes to WTF?! animations. Presumably you could even differentiate between a player aggro and a NPC aggro so you could have two NPCs moving and sparring like "normal" humans and then player goes nearby and they change to a "WTF?!" creature and attack. Having said that I guess it's possible to do in lua where you simply remove previous mob and spawn a new one on it's previous location.

As far as sound goes I guess we can look forward to it in 2 weeks time :)

smacky

« Reply #23 on: 26, October 2014, 19:10:13 »
I guess it depends on your definition of 'simpler' whether 6 is simpler than 4. ;)

And on your definition of aggrod. I was thinking in terms of a transient state: the mob is lounging around minding its own business (idle or move) when it senses/sees a player (WTF?!) so it heads towards him (move) and attacks.

Sounds like you're thinking more in terms of a permanent state (that is until the enemy or mob is gone/dead). When would a mob be in normal attack vs WTF?! attack? Or WTF?! idle vs normal idle?

Shroud

« Reply #24 on: 26, October 2014, 21:00:26 »
It also depends on programming limitations. For example with an object oriented language you can have an overloaded methods and inheritance that can easily recycle a lot of code. You essentially have 6 states but root behaviour is all based on 3 basic states but 6 aggro animations. Fundamentally WTF?! idle and normal idle would use pretty much same AI/implementation with at most a few slight modifications.

As far as permanance goes it depends on case. For example a werewolf style mob could perhaps freely revert between states. On the other hand if you imagine something like an alien parasite bursting through an NPC's stomach that's rather irreversible. It could even theoretically extend to invisible mobs that need to lift their invisibility to attack (like a klingon cloaking device ;)). If you want to go further you can even say that in some scenarios WTF?! state can confer additional effects such as invincibility or even weaknesses but also may have a limited duration meaning that attacks need to be timed for when mob is temporarily weakened.

As an added thought if there ever was a berserk spell that could theoretically transform a mob into it's WTF?! state and make it attack a random target in which case it applies for spell's duration. Having said that it currently seems like quite a bit of work (especially if all mob animations need updated or WTF?! versions) so probably something for 2 weeks time unless a mapper wants to make them specifically for their maps

Artemis

« Reply #25 on: 07, November 2014, 22:10:32 »
Playing around with the Daimonin logo ...

Artemis

« Reply #26 on: 12, November 2014, 22:01:18 »

michtoen

« Reply #27 on: 12, November 2014, 22:21:32 »
Hm, that looks not bad...
vita est proelium

Joe

« Reply #28 on: 12, November 2014, 22:31:52 »
Nice job, that looks cool.  I like the first one the best, with the dark back ground.  :)
Whoever said "Out of sight, out of mind" never had a spider disappear in their bedroom.

Artemis

« Reply #29 on: 13, November 2014, 21:04:48 »
Thx  :)

Here some tweaking on the black example.

Tags: