September 15, 2014, 01:44:52 pm
[Bug discussion] v0.10.6 Bugs by Shroud
September 12, 2014, 06:47:52 pm
[Suggestions] Third Hand Belt by petarkiller
September 11, 2014, 07:18:54 pm

Daimonin Forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Implementation of Server-side Clans  (Read 442659 times)
Torchwood
Warlord of Moroch Army

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2012, 10:28:26 pm »

Status update:  Been doing a lot of work on this, but still lots more to go before we even have a basic functioning clan system.  Have done a few commits to /streams, but mostly for safety (don't want to loose anything if I do anything stupid on my PC - which happens!).  Testing is progressing ...

I would hope by next weekend I'll have the core of the system written which will cover:
- creating / disbanding clans
- inviting members, and accepting / rejecting invites
- requesting to join a clan, and accepting / rejecting requests
- kicking members, leaving clans

Note - as discussed previously, there won't be anything about min player level or min price to create a clan; this stuff will get added later (much later).

Next steps after that will be hooking into the channel system to allow clan-channels (so clans can actually start to 'do' something).  After that ... loads of stuff!
clobber
Map Wizard (ClObliterator)
Raas Army General

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2012, 10:41:04 pm »

Level req and price could be handled easily in the NPC script, rather than server code, when it comes to it.

But good progress - it's looking really hopeful :)
Torchwood
Warlord of Moroch Army

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2012, 10:49:10 pm »

Definitely my intention clobber!
_people_
Warlord of Moroch Army

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2012, 10:53:46 pm »

IIRC Alderan had some comments in the channel file regarding clans when they are implemented, so that'll make you job there easier.

Good work so far! :)
Torchwood
Warlord of Moroch Army

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2012, 07:02:27 am »

Took me a while longer than I thought (due to one or two fiendish little bugs), but revision r6903 puts a relatively stable (I hope!!!) version of the clan code into /streams/clan.

Obviously still tons more work to do, but the basic create/disband/invite/leave/etc. functionality as well as object memory management, etc. now works quite well.

Feel free to run it and have a play.  /clan is the main command (although there is also /clandev - but this is mostly for my own testing purposes and will be removed soon).  /help will give you the parameters you need.

At the moment, clans don't 'do' anything - you can join and leave, etc., but that's it.  My next steps are to look into the channel system and look into sending clan-channel messages.  Hopefully won't take me too long.

(And now that I have some stable code, I'll start making my commit-messages a bit more meaningful)
smacky
The Singular Soul of Lom Lobon Tribe

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2012, 03:53:38 pm »

The clan channel stuff is really simple. Each channel has a clan pointer, channel->clan. Then when querying whether a particular player can see a particular channel we do is_player_in_clan(clan->channel). If 1 he can see it, if 0 he can't.

You should be able to reboot dev with your clan stream (/reboot clans or /reboot restart clans) but first you should rebase your stream so it's got any changes subsequently made to trunk.

Rebasing is just jargon for merging. Example: Your stream is at r6500 and since then X changes have been made to trunk/server so we're now at r6800. Do:

Code: [Select]
svn merge -r 6500:HEAD sf/trunk/server sf/streams/clans/server

Resolve any conflicts (I doubt there are any) and commit.

Note that the from revision is different for CLI SVN and Tortoise. For CLI it is the current revision - 1 (ie, 6499).

It's helpful to put the new rev in the commit loog as a quick reminder of where you are (ie, Rebase to r6800) for the next rebase.
clobber
Map Wizard (ClObliterator)
Raas Army General

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2012, 10:19:41 pm »

Good job :) I'll have a test tomorrow.
Torchwood
Warlord of Moroch Army

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2012, 12:25:51 pm »

I'll try and to the rebase stuff tonight; should be easy enough.  Once done, I'll reboot the DEV server and restart with the clan stream.

BTW, I did another commit this morning; clans now actually do something useful!  Its only "message-of-the-day", but still ...

The clan channel stuff is really simple

That's easy for you to say! :)

I looked through the channel code, and I can see what you mean, but I have some general strategy questions:

+  When a clan is created, should we automatically try to create an identically named channel?
+  If that channel name is already taken, I assume we 'fail' the clan creation (e.g. don't try to create a clan called VOL).   Hmmm ... actually, maybe that IS a good idea?

+  Can clans create additional channels?  A clan might want an admin-only channel, or an auction-channel?
+  Who moderates these channels?  I assume the clan admin ...
smacky

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2012, 03:22:41 pm »

In fact, does clan channels absolutely have to be your next step or can you postpone it?

Reason: it'd be convenient for us both if I can commit my channel rewrite before you also start changing that code.
Torchwood
Warlord of Moroch Army

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2012, 03:32:53 pm »

No, that's completely fine.  There's plenty of other stuff to look at.  Just bear my above questions in mind when re-writing perhaps?
Torchwood
Warlord of Moroch Army

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2012, 10:16:45 pm »

Hmmm ... rebased, resolved 1 conflict, recompiled and tested, then committed; all fine.

But then on DEV server did /reboot restart /clans, but it hasn't worked.  The /clan stuff isn't there.  Did I do it right?  Can someone view the logs?

I wonder - I had to update my CodeBlocks project to include the new .c/.h files that I created.  But, I'm guessing the server doesn't use the CodeBlocks project files - guessing it uses something else?
_people_
Warlord of Moroch Army

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2012, 11:12:53 pm »

Don't prefix the '/' on "clans". Just "/reboot restart clans".

The server uses Make, so an update of the Makefiles may be required (haven't looked into makefile format yet).
smacky

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2012, 12:33:42 am »

Updated (I hope I got all the new files -- clan.c, c_clan.c, clan.h, and fiie.h) and dev is rebooting now so tomorrow we'll see.
Torchwood
Warlord of Moroch Army

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2012, 06:33:10 am »

Ah!  So that's how it works.  Unfortunately, you missed one - file.c.

I've updated and commited the relevant makefile.in with file.c, but DEV is not up (so I can't ask it to reboot).
smacky

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2012, 10:42:44 am »

For some reason it decided to wipe all the 'persistent' data (settings, gmaster_file, etc). So it was up but not showing on the metaserver.

I've restored the settings and rebooted, so eventually it should be back.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up