Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  moving the servers  (Read 7987 times)

michtoen

« on: 30, September 2014, 17:11:16 »
Hi :)

Well, hope all are fine...

I will move in the next time the servers - means i will move the website and the game server to a new box.
Its a nice 8gb box and 3 times faster as the old one with the website on, so all should be fine.

I also had played around with an updated website but drupal is just to much work. I have a pure smf one done,
which works to 90% out of the box and is very ,very smooth. I think i will spend the time to upgrade it. I can
show soon an example.

The extreme nice point about that updated site i have in mind is, that i found a portal extension which had the SEF extension
build in we had on our super old sites... That was a way to create nice UIRLs without using a database. In the last
time nearly any problem with the website was done by the SEF plugin pumping the DB up .

Because the forum is holding in its own database a kind of mirror of the important drupal data like groups and access rights,
a move to smf only is easy (that was the idea as i did it).

Anyway: I just killed the TEST SERVER as i tried to update the super old virtual server image to wheezy.
So not wonder its gone now. I have done a backup but the server is down and i need first to reinstall a new image
(that server is was a dns backup server from a friends company, so it needs a bit time).

There was some old stuff on the install related to outdated boot stuff from the company the virtual server had
installed - no chance to upgrade it. After i messed up complete the libc6 stuff i gave up.

Anyway, it can be my friend skips the server complete now because its also a super old mashine and you get a 10 times faster one
now for the same price.

So, we have to use the dev server now for testing too in the meantime.

The dev server is already updated to wheezy. That was going normal, it was the same class of virtual server but a newer install.

vita est proelium

Shroud

« Reply #1 on: 30, September 2014, 18:03:59 »
Sounds good, should be nice to play without lag!
Doesn't matter, you'd die anyway. ;D Shroud's a hacker. After many hours of deep thought I have came to that conclusion.

smacky

« Reply #2 on: 30, September 2014, 18:31:53 »
Test server is no loss at all ATM. I've not had shell access to it for... years. Consequently it was running an old version (0.10.5-w whereas main is 0.10.6-g and dev 0.10.7).

So if you killed it, no loss I think. When it's back up, please make sure it has my correct SSH key (which is on dev) so I can do some maintenance on the reboot scripts.

michtoen

« Reply #3 on: 30, September 2014, 18:42:09 »
I can't promise it but there is an option... i have another us based server with a good upload line. Like 80% faster as the usual ones.
But we have to test it, there are alot factors.
vita est proelium

michtoen

« Reply #4 on: 30, September 2014, 18:46:48 »
Test server is no loss at all ATM. I've not had shell access to it for... years. Consequently it was running an old version (0.10.5-w whereas main is 0.10.6-g and dev 0.10.7).

So if you killed it, no loss I think. When it's back up, please make sure it has my correct SSH key (which is on dev) so I can do some maintenance on the reboot scripts.

Hm, i am sure you had root access there? Anyway, dev is now updated and rebooted. Start script should be finish soon and restart it.
vita est proelium

michtoen

« Reply #5 on: 30, September 2014, 19:45:38 »
grrrr...

Updating is so much fun... i had a some scripts which freaked out after updating for no reason...
After some time i "got" it.. or get it, so said.

I had a table named "get" ... which is now a reserved word in mysql 5.6...
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/reserved-words.html
as written on that page in table 9.3.

Thats stuff i hate. To declared such a generic phrase out of nothing to a reserved word ... i wonder how much scripts was broken.
vita est proelium

Shroud

« Reply #6 on: 30, September 2014, 20:07:47 »
It's unfortunate when a language update breaks code. Get/Set accessors are quite useful especially for security but I can imagine it's going to be awkward to fix as you may have to manually update references. Hopefully it should be a minor setback and good luck :)
Doesn't matter, you'd die anyway. ;D Shroud's a hacker. After many hours of deep thought I have came to that conclusion.

smacky

« Reply #7 on: 30, September 2014, 22:22:31 »
Yeah I think aat one stage I had all  the right permissions on all servers. But then  when our friend did his 'hacks' a year or two ago so we tightened up basic security (its worth repeating that the advanced stuff was already nice and strong) I lost a bit.

ATM I do have root on daimonin.org/dev and I think on 188.40.40.149/main but I'm totally locked out of test.

michtoen

« Reply #8 on: 22, October 2014, 23:04:35 »
Ok, i will move the main server now.

I will move it first to a us based server.
I like to see how that hoster and server works.
Its a good box.

I have a new german based box we will use later the week for the website and SVN and also for the server - at last as a try.
That box is xeon 1245V2 with 16gb...

To give an impression: This current webserver runs on a AMD 3700+ with a cpu benchmark of 587.
The 1245V2 comes with a benchmark of 9044. The us box is a i3 with 4041 points.
vita est proelium

michtoen

« Reply #9 on: 23, October 2014, 01:56:30 »
done.
vita est proelium

michtoen

« Reply #10 on: 27, October 2014, 19:45:32 »
Ok, now i will prepare the website and the svn move.

Expect the svn offline soon and then up on IP 144.76.98.166.
You have to change for your tortoise/subversion access url the ip then.

I will turn then off the website after it and put a "move server notice" on both servers.
Preparing and updating the Database and website code will need a bit time as the new DNS.
I will change the DNS of daimonin.org right after the website goes down. You will see then a update notice
on the new server, telling you all stuff you need to know.

EXPECT THE WEBSITE DOWN FOR 1-3 DAYS.

I have some work to do - but i can ensure a small surprise.
vita est proelium

Shroud

« Reply #11 on: 27, October 2014, 19:54:44 »
Thanks for letting us know, hopefully it'll be back up in time for halloween ;)

smacky

« Reply #12 on: 27, October 2014, 22:09:09 »
How exciting! I like surprises.

michtoen

« Reply #13 on: 06, November 2014, 06:15:37 »
Well, here we go :)

Ok, its 6 in the morning here and i am deadly sleepy.

I have some to explain because this is really a major move.

What you see is a complete smf based engine. Well, more or less because this baby runs with 41 addons moving the whole system to a new level. Its now on the same level as system like xenforo and social software like that.

We have now things like ajax based likes, a reputation system, related topics, gallery & download system and so on.

But the real stuff are all the small addons like a complex PM system, an award system and things like that.

Everyone with access should browse in the admin area through the options and check them out. You can also check the package list and see what the plugins do.

But in gods name - do not touch the settings if you do not know what they do.

We have alot to adjust - permissions and access rights for example.

In the time i build this site i found 2 serious security bugs. One in SMF itself, one in the portal we use. WTF.

I still have some stuff to add. The daipedia works already on my system but i have to tweak the bridge system (yes, we will have then the latest wikka).

As you can see too - the whole site is lightning fast. Its not only a good server but also a debian 7 with all features. We run native under Nginx with php 5.5 and 2 cache system.

I will tweak a bit now the css and stuff and then add the wikka.

Please report back all things & bugs you find.

I will write some more after i get some sleep now :)
vita est proelium

Joe

« Reply #14 on: 06, November 2014, 08:48:10 »
It will take me awhile to get used to this, and finding the new settings.  I'm very interested in seeing the shop icon added.  Thank you for taking time and making Daimonin even better, keep up the great work!  :)
Whoever said "Out of sight, out of mind" never had a spider disappear in their bedroom.

Tags: