Language: 
To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic:  Is this game dying?  (Read 16468 times)

MDF

« on: 23, September 2014, 21:42:22 »
I hardly ever see anybody online anymore. Has this game died?

Meh, I can't play it anyway. The server is too far away and my internet connection is as good as it's going to get.

clobber

« Reply #1 on: 23, September 2014, 22:50:18 »
Huh. That was kind of a real post. But then the points didn't make sense...

No, the game is not dead. There are players on often, and we're still developing. Server distance shouldn't be a factor in speed. It runs well for other Americans, I'm inclined to believe it's your connection.

PS - Welcome back.
Posted by Clobber

Collector Of Burnt out torches, 0 and Counting.

,-.  ___ ,-.
 \/ .   .  \ / 
(___O___)
 /  \      /   )
 ( ||       || )
  000     000
Woof, Woof!

Quote from: Longir
I use caution, fear is a distraction

Obliterator

« Reply #2 on: 26, September 2014, 11:58:20 »
No, the game is not dead. There are players on often, and we're still developing.
Pretty much this. There isn't any rush to complete development. And when you consider the possibilities of platforms like Steam and possible ports to mobile devices for when development is (somewhat?) finished, that's where I think a decent player base is to be gained IMHO.
heh

smacky

« Reply #3 on: 26, September 2014, 13:25:50 »
Also... ahem... if there was a bit more testing perhaps development would go a bit faster.

For example, in the last week according to the logs, only Shroud has logged in to dev (I assume _people_ and Clobber have had a go on local). This is after I fixed two bugs which these players mentioned. One of which (exits) is more than just a plain bugfix and needs proper testing (as I have specifically requested and even told you how in another thread).

Shroud

« Reply #4 on: 26, September 2014, 18:40:23 »
My testing has stalled for two reasons:
1. I've not been specifically told exactly what I'm testing. I don't really want to level up to lvl 40 and then find out that quest triggered at level 5 and that I could have reported a bug 35 levels ago. If given clear guidelines of intended behaviour and what I should do I don't mind following along
2. Whenever I go from main to dev or dev to main client ends up taking a few minutes loading different server settings
Doesn't matter, you'd die anyway. ;D Shroud's a hacker. After many hours of deep thought I have came to that conclusion.

smacky

« Reply #5 on: 26, September 2014, 21:16:19 »
My testing has stalled for two reasons:
1. I've not been specifically told exactly what I'm testing. I don't really want to level up to lvl 40 and then find out that quest triggered at level 5 and that I could have reported a bug 35 levels ago. If given clear guidelines of intended behaviour and what I should do I don't mind following along

I think you and I are talking about different things. You went on dev to test Clobber's guild content. During that testing, a couple of code bugs were highlighted. I fixed those, one of which amounts to a quite big change (if it works properly, should be invisible to players). I did give very specific instructions got testing this. But a general rule of thumb for nearly all code changes I make is just play normally; everything should feel normal and natural and things should work in an 'obvious' way.

So  by going on dev at all and shouting about whatever you notice, or feels wrong, or works weirdly, you're helping with code dev. I follow the content dev threads so I can spot when you find a code bug while specifically trying new content.

Re levels, etc. On dev try /setskill to get to an appropriate level instantly.

Shroud

« Reply #6 on: 27, September 2014, 11:45:28 »
OK, I generally understand that idea is I go around dev and scream when I see something wrong.

Well what I was saying that could be a problem is that when I try to go to dev it loads content and then times out. I then try again and it continues loading content and eventually I can login ok. When I return to main it takes a while to load too.

As far as setskill at least for me it doesn't work as it's a SA/MM/GM command so at least in it's current form testing requires a lot of grinding. If it's unavoidable I can do it but if it's a situation where one person can test it in 2min and another person can do it in 3 hours then it's not exactly an economical usage of time as grinding agaisnt same mob for a few hours shouldn't really uncover anything after first few kills. If on the other hand you're given a list of all the quests and asked to make sure they work ok with the intended reqs and you work through them it could take the same time but be a lot more useful. Hope that makes sense. I guess idea to have someone get to 110 in all skills on dev naturally is probably prefered method for devs but time needed is huge (500 hours+ using limited dungeons in suboptimal testing way) and I can imagine howl of despair when they get a RoA looted that they can never use ;)
Doesn't matter, you'd die anyway. ;D Shroud's a hacker. After many hours of deep thought I have came to that conclusion.

smacky

« Reply #7 on: 27, September 2014, 15:07:45 »
As a tester, you should be a MW on dev which gives you loads of commands such as setskill, setstat, generate, spawn, and resetmap. I've just reinstalled my system so ATM I have no wworking client but when I do or someone else does it I'll add you.

About the delays when changing servers. This should be an easy fix (just use different files per server) but obviously requires a client update. So in 0.10.7.

clobber

« Reply #8 on: 27, September 2014, 16:03:19 »
Can I request that when you're actually testing, you're not in MW mode though? we miss a lot of things that way :(
Posted by Clobber

Collector Of Burnt out torches, 0 and Counting.

,-.  ___ ,-.
 \/ .   .  \ / 
(___O___)
 /  \      /   )
 ( ||       || )
  000     000
Woof, Woof!

Quote from: Longir
I use caution, fear is a distraction

MDF

« Reply #9 on: 27, September 2014, 19:43:48 »
Clobber already answered my question. Lol

smacky

« Reply #10 on: 27, September 2014, 19:44:59 »
True. But I think if you do /wizpass to toggle it off you become like a normal player but still with access to the fancy commands (wizpass is what lets you see/walk through walls, etc).

/stealth may also be useful. This make you invisble to mob's aggression so you can, for example, kill the target without worrying about those pesky minions.

Tags: