October 20, 2014, 11:23:47 pm
[Community chat] +4 etc on items by VMP-KNIGHT
October 19, 2014, 09:46:16 pm
[Events] hallo maps by Shroud
October 19, 2014, 01:27:20 am

Daimonin Forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: sockbuf bug  (Read 33682 times)
_people_
Warlord of Moroch Army

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 03:54:57 am »

New headache.

Players wanted to test PvP and groups tonight. So Joe and _redd_ wanted to test them both together. So they went through a portal in my lobby to the PvP testmaps.

Whenever Joe tried going through the portal, all players online got booted. So I did the same. I stepped on top of the portal in MM mode and got botoed instantly.

Then I made a new character and tried it in non-MM mode. No boot.

This is probably just some bug in view_map.c (iirc, maybe view_inv.c) that was workarounded and recently reverted? This didn't happen before sockbuf was fixed.
smacky
The Singular Soul of Lom Lobon Tribe

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 10:32:53 am »

@MT: Oh yes. Now that I've looked inside the black box and figured out how it works (actually not that complex) I can see the potential

@_people_: OK, thanks (and Joe and _redd_). I'll look into it later.

EDIT: Can't reproduce this (on local or dev). I can happily go through the portal in any gmaster mode or none.

Lets check we are talking about the same portal. The one from lobby_attic to the quick 10 second PVP test map?
michtoen
Map Wizard
Warlord of Moroch Army

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 02:37:38 pm »

Yeah, to make it easy was one point. Thats the reason i sorted all in new. The only complex thing is the "fill & pre-process" loop after we read them by main socket loop.
smacky

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 03:27:33 pm »

OK, still no luck reproducing the mentioned bug but I have found another. If you login twice from the same connection the sockbuf gets confused and both instances get booted.

This might also be the problem you had. At least similar.
clobber
Map Wizard (ClObliterator)
Raas Army General

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 12:36:13 am »

I have some exciting information for you, regarding Dev server:

When I logged in, it was all good. Then _person_ and Jsaakme tried to log in. Each time they did it would teleport me to "The Attic" (as the mapname was on the screen) from guildhall_030a. However, this map is actually the same map according to mapinfo and the look of it, just with a different name and those peculiar black tiles. Walking about would get rid of them (as per the previous issue with them). And nobody could log on at the same time.

Mapinfo always gave the directory to be the same, original map.

_people_
Warlord of Moroch Army

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 12:40:19 am »

I'm assuming there are just several issues involving multiple players being logged on at once. Perhaps I just stepped on the portal at the wrong time (when someone else was logging in).
smacky

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 02:14:18 pm »

OK, I know what and where the bug is. I'll fix it later (I won't be putting in anything like the hours I was doing pre-retirement).

This is the thing with sockbuf stuff. Because it controls the server's communication with clients, the slightest mistake or miiscalculation can lead to some apparently crazy and totally unrelated effects, and possibly lots of them. If it doesn't just break the server entirely. Which is exactly what the original sockbuf bug was.

EDIT: I think I've fixed it but will do a bit more local testing (ie, running about with multiple clients connected) before I commit. So late tonight or tomorrow evening I suspect.

EDIT 2: Bad news: Last night's fix was not a fix at all. Good news: I have now fixed it (basically the sockbuf bug was deeper than I first thought but only really came out to play with multiple connections and when I changed all text messages to use broadcast rather than working buffers). Bad news: I'm too sleepy tonight to polish up the new code for committing, so tomorrow.
smacky

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2011, 02:59:04 pm »

Should be fixed now, so please get back to whatever testing you were doing.
_people_
Warlord of Moroch Army

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 12:39:11 am »

Okay, we've got 5 people online and we don't seem to have any issues. :)
smacky

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 11:29:37 am »

Great. This won't be player-noticeable but the server is now doing far less work when it sends multiple players a text message (ie, /shout) -- it used to make one new copy of the string for each recipient, it now only makes one copy which is directly sent to each recipient. /gsay always did this IIRC (and group stuff in general which is why the sockbuf bug kicked in there) and channels also work this way (presumably we'll redirect /shout to the general channel).
smacky

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2011, 12:09:13 am »

So? I assume nothing bad has been found. Are groups updating properly now?

I'll do the interim to main next week rather than this JIC it causes problems, as no-one wants main down over Xmas.
_people_
Warlord of Moroch Army

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2011, 12:18:47 am »

Groups work great. :) The way to test this is to make an item that gives player A lots of HP, apply it, and rest. Then switch clients and run around as player B. Every time player A's HP is increased (or decreased), B's map would black out if sockbuf were still broken. But it isn't. :)
_people_
Warlord of Moroch Army

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2011, 02:50:48 am »

Will the new interim be just sockbuf, or all the changes that have come along (PvP, item buffs, channels, a few minor bugfixes)? All the big projects I worked on seem to be working just fine. USE_PVP and USE_CHANNELS need to be enabled on production servers, though.
smacky

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2011, 05:47:18 pm »

Next interim (h IIRC) is just sockbuf (plus a few technical code tidyups). The point is to provide a nice stable base for future interims. I suggest PVP, channels, buffs are done one at a time (whichever order you prefer, though personally I'd go for channels first).
_etzio
Ranger

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2011, 08:43:41 pm »

Next interim (h IIRC) is just sockbuf (plus a few technical code tidyups). The point is to provide a nice stable base for future interims. I suggest PVP, channels, buffs are done one at a time (whichever order you prefer, though personally I'd go for channels first).

PvP Channel Idea: When a player kills another player add multiple death sentences like player was ended by player, player was sent to the nether by player, or player was shot down by player, etc

And also could add it what the player used to kill like the name of their sword or axe or club or we.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up